6.01.2007

And thus it begins...

Today I received my first "be prepared to discuss" letter from the law school. In just 30 days, I will be sitting in a classroom, listening to and learning from Professor Baude, my classmates, and perhaps even myself. I've always heard that the moment you realize you've begun is when you get this letter. Wouldn't you know it; I heard right. Law school has never seemed so close. I'm nervous, I'm excited, and I'm hoping I'm prepared. 42 pages? I can handle that.

With a month to go until the beginning of "the next three years", I have spent more time thinking about why I chose to go to law school. I've never been shy about the fact that I want to enter politics, with the ultimate goal being the governor's office in Indianapolis. It's the reason I talk to everyone I meet, the reason I read everything I can get my hands on, and (to be honest) the reason I wake up in the morning. I don't believe that I could serve my fellow Hoosiers without being an attorney, and truly understanding and appreciating the law. The law is the one thing that binds us -- our whole society -- together.

Today was my last day at my job. As I shook the hands of the steady stream of well-wishers, I felt as if I had made real connections. Sure, I had worked there for two years, and they had become like family. But most of the people, as they shook my hand, promised me a vote. They promised the vote of their friends, their family, and their communities. As I talked to my supervisor, it was clear that, while he wished I would stay, he knew I was destined for bigger things. It was if he was proud -- proud that he had helped shape me into a leader. As I walked out, I knew that the best thing I could do for these people, my friends, was to become an attorney and speak on their behalf.

We all have reasons to go law school. Some do it for prestige; some do it for money. Some do it for the challenge; some do it because they can't decide on anything else. But I didn't choose it for any of those reasons.

Eternally optimistic, I want to change the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have to mention the fact that you're a leader, odds are good that you really aren't...

Ben said...

Perhaps. But I would suggest that you ask the dozens of people with whom I have worked whether they believe that I am a leader. I didn't (and would never) come out and say "I am a leader". On the other hand, I believe that my actions support that.