3.29.2008

IU Law Tuition... this better be worth it

Well, it was bound to happen. We got an e-mail from the dean alerting us that tuition would be going up a bit this year, despite the $25 million gift that we recieved from Lilly. More money for professors, in turn leaving us with more money for scholarships. But scholarships for next year's class, not for me. So I don't care.

I hear that last year the tuition for out-of-staters (60% of our population) went up dramatically, and many were angry. Well, now it's my turn. My in-state tuition is going up 12%, while the out-of-staters get a mere 8.5%. Granted, my tuition is still only half as much as their tuition, but still. 12%! I want to work in government, and these student loans are soon going to make doing so rather difficult.

On the plus side, our dean basically guaranteed us that the tuition increase will be used to improve our rankings drastically in the next two years. I suppose that's good, since IU-Indy moved up twenty spots this year. And Notre Dame went up 6. If we don't move up soon then it'll start getting much harder to compete to get native Hoosier law students.

And yes, I'm aware that rankings are a thing to be shunned. Too bad lawyers don't think so.

No comments: