5.18.2008

In re Marriage Cases

A friend asked me today what I thought about the result in the recent California Supreme Court decision overturning the same-sex marriage ban in that state.

I must admit that I'm somewhat torn. On one hand, I don't like courts stepping in to overturn the will of the electorate. Prop 22 passed, and that seems to suggest that at least half of Californians didn't want same-sex marriage recognized by the state. However, the legislature twice passed bills legalizing same-sex marriage that were vetoed by the governor (who, incidentally, said that if they wanted gay marriage, then they would have to take it to the state Supreme Court). So "the will of the people" here seems a bit cloudy.

On the other hand, as any long-time reader of this blog could tell you, I am a pretty big supporter of gay rights, and I do personally believe that if government recognizes marriage at all, it should do so for any type of couple (not that I believe that government should be in the business of recognizing marriages). To me, it seems like most arguments against same-sex marriage are based on religion, which makes me squeamish in government. In fact, very few counterarguments that I have heard when debating this topic end up relying on anything other than morality.

I don't feel like beating this to death right now, mostly because I have made my position very clear in the past, and because the rest of the blogosphere seems to be discussing it just fine without me. For a particularly interesting set of discussions, try looking at the Volokh Conspiracy's stream of posts. So, to answer my friend's question, I agree with the general outcome of the case (giving the right to marry to gays) but disagree with the method (in court, rather than democratically).

No comments: