2.22.2008

"Oeniphile Rejoice" Part III

Some of my luckier colleagues at IU Law today did not have their usual Constitutional Law class. That is because their professor, Mr. Patrick Baude, had oral aruments in Chicago before the Seventh Circuit regarding the Indiana wine shipping case, Baude v. Heath. I wrote about the decision before Judge Tinder back in November.

The 16 filed briefs are available here, while an MP3 of the oral argument itself can be heard here. From what I can tell, arguments went well... for the state. Judges Posner and Easterbrook did not seem to like what Professor Tanford included in his brief (chastising him like they were LRW professors). Nor did they like the way he argued, nor the way he listened. Hopefully the court finds for the oeniphiles so that we Hoosiers can be one step closer to having the freedom to buy what we want through the internet and the mail, but I'm not holding my breath for that holding.

I would think it would be beneficial for his class to read some of this stuff. Always good to hear someone you know arguing before a circuit court, even if it is a bit brutal.

No comments: